Wednesday 30 September 2020

Review: Reality and Other Stories

Reality and Other Stories Reality and Other Stories by John Lanchester
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

More of a literary collection of darkly humorous Black Mirror episodes than true horror stories, I found this entertaining if somewhat slight and repetitive. Like any collection, there are highs and lows - with the final story "Charity" being the strongest for me, featuring a cursed selfie stick. The short story format does seem to suit Lanchester, and he creates some rich characters in the limited space - I particularly enjoyed his playful skewering of the liberal middle class, where Lanchester feels more at home than some of the 'horror' scenarios.

The audiobook is excellent and an easy listen, with varied narrators delivering strong performances.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment